Savings Challenge - Green Finance Award
Climate Change has become a harsh reality of our time. It is causing loss of lives, infrastructure, sources of livelihood and more. But anyone can start small, grow big and be green smart in the choices we make to manage climate change.
To this end, players in the financial services sector have throughout the year 2023 run a savings challenge where staff of different organizations have collected money which is going to help boost the most befitting woman or youth led green smart initiative or business.
These are initiatives or businesses that have a good environmental outcome like reducing carbon emissions(climate mitigation),reducing or preventing impact of climate change on life, livelihoods and infrastructure (climate adaptation), as well as conserving biodiversity.
Call For Nomination and Voting -Public Participation:
The Institute and participating industry partners invite Members of the public to nominate individuals or groups of women or youth, business proprietors, investors , founders, leadrs,or any stakeholders involved in innovative green projects/initiaves/busineses.
These should have a focus on climate mitigation, adaptation and biodiversity conservation and demonstrate good savings and financial discipline. Examples are solar projects, sustainable energy sources like briquettes, stones, etc, reducing and reusing waste, community-based recycling programs, smart farming in large or small spaces, sustainable forestry, using natural vs. artificial resources, irrigation, wind breakers, mulching, drought or disease resistant seed, environmental education programs, ecosystem restoration initiatives, and more (for specific examples, please refer to the attached)
Nominations should be submited on through this page or at any particapation instiution by monday 23rd October 2023. Final nomimes will be announced on World Saving Day 31st October 2023 and wiiners selected through public voting and assessment by a panel of judges in the period after.
The public's votes will contribute 20% of the final score, while the remaining 80% will be determined by the judges.
Nominees must be individuals who are women and youth, as well as groups, investors, founders, or stakeholders in innovative green projects and conservation initiatives operating in Uganda
The projects should focus on climate mitigation (reducing the net release of carbon and all other greenhouse gas emissions that are warming our planet) climate adaptation (adapting to climate consequences e.g. fires or floods, droughts, hotter or colder days or water body-level rise so we can protect ourselves and our communities), or biodiversity (the variety of animals, plants, fungi, and even microorganisms like bacteria that make up our natural world. Each of these species and organisms work together in ecosystems, like an intricate web, to maintain balance and support life.)
The businesses must demonstrate a positive impact on the environment and contribute to sustainable development.
Nominees should have a track record of good savings behavior and financial discipline.