(Awarded by Makerere University, tenable at The Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services)
The Institute Registrar invites applications for admission to a two–year Master’s degree in Financial Services for the Academic year 2017/2018.
The programme targets graduates seeking to work in investment or commercial banking, specialized financial institutions, stock broking, dealing agencies, insurance, pension and investment funds. It will provide individuals in management positions with a better understanding of Management in a financial services environment, including strategy formulation and implementation. It is also well suited for fresh graduates wishing to acquire a postgraduate qualification for a career in financial services.
Mode of delivery
The programme is to be delivered through an evening study mode. Lectures will be held from Monday to Friday from 6.00 pm to 9.00 pm
Applicants to the M.A. in Financial Services must meet the minimum requirement for admission to the programme set by National Council for higher Education (NCHE) and Makerere University.
Specifically, applicants should possess the following requirements:
(a) At least second class degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Studies or a degree with a strong quantitative bias
(b) A holder of a first degree and a Diploma in Banking/ Certified Professional Banker obtained from Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services or Institute of Financial Services (UIBFS), UK.
(c) A holder of a first degree and a recognized professional qualification in accounting
Core or Compulsory Courses
- Managerial Economics
- Legal Aspects of Financial Services
- Financial Systems, Institutions and Regulation
- Quantitative Techniques for Finance
- Financial Management and Control
- International Money and Finance
- Marketing of Financial Services
Research Methods for Management
- Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- Financial Reporting, Analysis and Planning
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Credit Management
- Real Estate Management
- Treasury Management
- Commercial and Investment Banking
- Business Project
- Strategic Planning and Management
- Customer Information Management
- Microfinance Business
- Audit of Financial Institutions
- Ugandan: UGX 3,075,000= per year
- International students: UGX 5,454,000= per year
- Others Charges applicable to the Masters Programme
(a) Application fee 50,000=
(b) Contribution to NCHE (New Applicant) 20,000=
Stanbic Bank, Kyambogo
(c) Membership fee(student registration & ID) 25,000= (New applicants)
(d) Membership fee (Annual subscription) 50,000=
(e) Functional fees 635,000=
• Bank Drafts should be made in favour of “The Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services”
- Hard copies of application forms are obtained from the Institute Registrar after payment of an application fee of UGX 50,000= (Ugandan applicants) or UGX 151,500= (international Applicants) to the Finance office, UIBFS
- The completed application forms together with certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts, and the letters of references should be submitted to the institute in designated time before the beginning of a new Academic year.
- Detailed information about the programmes, content and regulations can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office OR.
Deadline for submission of application forms : 31st March 2018